New to New Media? Click here for an overview of the University of Maine's New Media program.
- Need advising help? Check out these links! (Mar 2013)
- NMD430 Contagious Media in Fall 2009 (Mar 2013)
- How to get a Degree Audit (Mar 2013)
- NMD398 Design Patterns for New Media in Spr 2012 (Oct 2011)
- NMD295 Script Your World class (Oct 2011)
- Co-create with nature in new Life Art class (Oct 2009)
- NMD 430 Indigenous Media in Spr 2009 (Oct 2008)
This video examines the benefits and limitations inherent in current mouse-based and window-oriented interfaces, the problems facing other potential solutions, and visualizes my proposal for a completely new way of interacting with desktop computers.
I recommend you watch the whole thing, because he makes some very good usability points—discussing the pros and cons of different UI approaches—before getting into his proposal—which looks beautiful and, more importantly, useful.I like a lot of the things I see here. I like the way the applications are organized and accessed, combined a modal approach with a stream. I love how he solved the general menu vs application menu dilemma. What I don't like is the idea of having a control surface below the keyboard. I guess we are all used to it, through laptops and trackpads. And he is right that it may be a great way to transition to touch-interfaces for most users—because of that familiarity. However, I would like to see this implemented in a different form factor Both on the go—in the tablet—and in the desktop—in whatever new format the hardware manufacturers can come up with