Welcome to U-Me New Media
New to New Media? Click here for an overview of the University of Maine's New Media program.
U-Me New Media at a glance
! Departmental Alerts
- Need advising help? Check out these links! (Mar 2013)
- NMD430 Contagious Media in Fall 2009 (Mar 2013)
- How to get a Degree Audit (Mar 2013)
- NMD398 Design Patterns for New Media in Spr 2012 (Oct 2011)
- NMD295 Script Your World class (Oct 2011)
- Co-create with nature in new Life Art class (Oct 2009)
- NMD 430 Indigenous Media in Spr 2009 (Oct 2008)
NMD430 Contagious Media in Fall 2009
IMD 520-000x (CN to come)
NMD 430-000x (CN to come)
Fall 2013, Wednesday afternoons 1:30-4pm
Instructor: Jon Ippolito
Offered both to Intermedia grad students and to undergraduates taking the New Media x45 sequence, "Contagious Media" arms students with viral techniques for building and distributing creative projects. Examining the common strategies of instruction-based art, biological replication, and successful Internet memes, this course will ask students to promote a project in the real world. This is not a graphic design course for advertising majors, but a chance to study and apply grass-roots tactics such as community activism, viral marketing, and network propagation via such media as blogs, RSS, Twitter, hijacked domains, webs of trust, seed exchange, and sneakernet. Students are expected to have some background in computer programming--preferably Web development--and are encouraged to bring an existing project to this class that will soon be ready for testing and adoption by an outside audience.
For more information, contact Jon Ippolito.